What is the Universal Civil Service
Universal Civil Service was created with the D.Lgs. 6th March 2017, no. 40. It aimed to accept the requests of the young people who want to make a formative and civil experience in the volunteer work. Through the Civil Service there is the possibility to learn skills which are useful for the world of work.
With the law 6th March 2001 no. 64 that modified the National Civil Service system, it’s nowadays possible to look at the Civil Service as an instrument for create a non-military defence of our native land. But at the same time the Civil Service intervenes in different fields:
- assistance, civil protection, historical artistic and cultural heritage, environmental heritage, urban redevelopment, education, cultural and sport promotion, mountain agriculture, social agriculture and biodiversity, promotion of the peace between all populations, non-military defence;
- non-violence promotion and protection of the human rights;
- cooperation and development;
- Italian culture promotion and support to the Italian communities abroad.
Universal Civil Service involves Europeans and the non-European citizens who live in Italy in order to remove inequality and to promote their integration on our territory. The 64/2001 law, as a reform to the Civil Service, pays close attention to the young people who are the most involved people into the economical crisis.
The reform intents to involve the young people in need who will have the opportunity to take part in the Civil Service, considering the young participants as means for the public institutes to be rewarded for their work.
The reform gives a possibility to the ones who want to experience the Civil Service abroad: travelling to another European country for three months makes the young people identity related to the European Union and make Europe stronger too. At the same time, the system can become an opportunity for the European Union itself to encourage the developing the Civil Service European Service.
The young volunteers can moreover follow a tutorship that can facilitate them to the access to world of work. The young people will be enhanced because of their assimilated skills so that they will use them in their working and educational paths.
The projects will have a duration of eight to twelve months, in order to follow the volunteer personal life and working needs.
What does the Universal Civil Service offer?
Being a Civil Service volunteer is an opportunity for the ones who wish to give themselves to the others in need and for the ones who want to offer their skills to their country. But moreover the Civil Service represents an occasion for the people who want to grow personally and professionally. For this reason, Universal Civil Service is a useful working experience.
The 64/2001 law established that the Universal Civil Service course credits for the ones who are working as volunteers can be used for education and for the professional formation. The universities too can give value to the course credits for the Universal Civil Service activities which are relevant for the students’ CV. The volunteers will receive 433,80 euros reimbursement of expenses per month. For the ones who are employed in projects abroad, to the 433,80 euros other 450 euros will be added. The volunteer work neither establishes a business collaboration nor implicates the list of mobility interruption or elimination. The year working for the Universal Civil Service is recognised by the social security treatment and doesn’t have taxes at the expense of the National Fund. At the same time the young people who work for the Universal Civil Service receive free healthcare, marks useful for public contests and a general and specific formation. The general formation consists in the knowledge of the Universal Civil Service main principles. The specific formation consists in the project peculiarities. The general formation and the specific formation last for minimum 80 hours in class.
- Law 6th June 2016, no. 106
- D.Lgs. 6th March 2017, no. 40
- Management guidelines: National civil service register, regional register, independent districts
- 3th August 2017 guidelines: regulations and requirements for the inscription at the Universal Civil Service companies register
- 12th December 2017 integration to the 3th August 2017 guidelines
- Work Ethic Paper Emission of the Universal Civil Service
- Guidelines for the Civil Service companies concerning the costs typologies valid for the allocation subsidy established for general formation activities for the National/Universal Civil Service volunteers
- D.Lgs. 13th April 2018, no. 43, Supplementary and corrective instructions to the D.Lgs. 6th March 2017, no. 40 which consists in the institution and regulation of the Universal Civil Service within the law 6th June 2016 no. 106 art. 18